Monday 13 November 2023

Drive by..

  ..which I do here every now and again, not sure why. I consider writing something then get distracted by something shiny or realise it's not 2007 any more. Anyhow I noticed something amiss months ago and it's been festering in my neural network until a fortnight ago when I finally decided to do something about it.
 
You know that entry I wrote a while back about 'sites' from google being the way to host blog photos after photobucket decided to self destruct, well I hadn't factored in how google also has a habit of dropping products and services seemingly on a whim. Now I'm probably what you'd call a google fan, I have a pixel phone, google assistants dotted around the house, a google doorbell and subscription to nest which I pay for, google one which i pay for...this blog obviously.. But them dropping google sites earlier this year once again left these pages without images. I felt a bit betrayed, even though technically I wasn't using sites as intended.
 
Loopholes readers are there to be found, so in search of one I went and just as sites hosted my photoblog images for me I realised,  admittedly after a fair bit of url skullduggery, that your common or garden google drive can do pretty much the same. (Actually I suspect uploading images to and then ahem repurposing them on blogger itself might work too but it'd be much more of a faf and tbh I can't be arsed to find out) I'm not going into detail but if you share something publicly from your googledrive you can use its id to craft a url that displays whatever it is directly without google sticking an oar in and galleryfying it or plugging it into a google doc or form or whatever else google property alphabet thinks is an appropriate vessel for its web consumption.

So yeah. TL;DR Blog pics fixed again..you're welcome... woah.. look a shiny.

1 comment:

STU said...

So that worked for about 6 weeks or so, maybe I'll have another go at fixing it at some point..then again self hosting is sounding more attractive every time this fails